Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Few of my faves....Au Naturel

Although I am a HUGE fan of water, sometimes I can't help but find myself in the mood for something different. However, I often get frustrated when I go down beverage aisles and see drink after drink of which consist of a list of artificial ingredients. Not to mention all of the added sugar and calories that are in these drinks....I'd rather eat a candy bar and drink the water I was avoiding than consume a sickeningly high-calorie, oversweetened drink. And what's worse is when I think I've finally stumbled upon a good, light, low-cal beverage, I am usually quickly let down after seeing how many artificial sweeteners the drink contains. Who knows what those things are made of, but I'm certainly not about to pump my body with genetically engineered substances...those can be left for experiments, not my body's contamination. However, after endless searching, I've finally found 3 drinks that I'm absolutely crazy about (and I'd like to share them with you!).


Coconut Water: I'm in love with this drink. After recently discovering Zico Coconut Water in one of the aisle's of a nearby grocery store back home, I instantly became hooked. Coconut water comes in other brands as well, and from my experience with another brand, seems to be equally as good. However, I particularly like Zico because the coconut water comes in cool flavors, such as mango (my favorite fruit!), just in case you ever get bored of the original, which I must say would be hard to get bored of. The coconut water is a great post work-out boost, as it contains multiple electrolytes and more potassium than a banana. With a mere 60 calories per 11 fl. ounces (one carton of Zico) and zero grams of fat (surprising considering coconut milk is crazy fatty), the drink is relatively light and is a good way to replenish and rehydrate yourself. And what is this heavenly drink made of?: 100% coconut water...one simple ingredient, which is why its one of my favorite afternoon delights.
Kombucha: Kombucha is made through a fermentation process, combining either green or black tea with Kombucha culture, a symbiosis of bacteria and yeast. It has a unique taste, one of which I'm particularly fond of. The drink contains moderate carbonation, and in my opinion, it resembles the taste of champagne, or slightly hard sparkling apple cider. And although you won't get drunk off of this beverage, it does provide several health advantages, and it's much healthier than that of a similarly fizzy soda or beer. Kombucha naturally contains an assortment of vitamins. It is particularly high in B vitamins, which boost energy, as well as immune-boosting vitamin C. It also provides natural benefits from the bacteria, such as those cultured in yogurt. The brand pictured above offers several varieties, and I particularly enjoy the citrus flavor. Containing around 50 calories per 8 fl. ounces, this won't substantially add calories to your diet, and would definitely be a good substitution for soda.

Honest Tea: Although I don't often like to spend money on drinks, Honest Tea is a perfect go-to drink if you're out and in need of a thirst-quencher. Unlike the tons of other drinks that litter the aisles of grocery stores, Honest Tea does not contain a lengthy list of sweetners, additives, or other ingredients that don't sound like they should be ingested. I opt for their variety of teas that contain solely tea and a little bit of added honey. Honest Tea makes me feel refreshed and allows me to purchase a drink that doesn't feel like I'm swallowing a bottle full of syrup. They offer several calorieless beverages, and typically don't ever contain more than 40 calories per 8 ounce serving. Also, once you pop the cap, underneath you will find a small saying, or a few good words, to think about throughout your day.

1 comment:

  1. saw your blog post. i rep ZICO. let me know if you ever need anything. we're appreciative of your glowing review!

    ReplyDelete