Monday, October 12, 2009

Eat Your Oats

I'm always looking for a way to jazz up my oatmeal. I've been eating oatmeal since I was, well, born. Although once in awhile I do enjoy a nice bowl of plainly seasoned oatmeal, plain can get old pretty quickly. Luckily, there are plenty of easy ways to spice up those heart-healthy oats.

I went home this weekend and got a chance to pick some apples at the orchard up the road from me. After waking up the next morning, I decided the apples would be the perfect compliment to my oatmeal.
This simple and delicious breakfast is similar to apple pie, except a whole lot quicker and healthier.

Fried Apples

-5 medium apples (Whatever variety is in season or looks best), peeled and thinly sliced
-1 Tbs. oil
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-Honey, to taste
-Salt, to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet pan. Add the apples and cinnamon and cook until soft, approx. 15 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with honey. The amount of honey will vary depending upon the variety of apples used. Sour, cooking apples such as Granny Smith may require more honey than a sweeter variety such as Jonagold.

Serve alongside oatmeal and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment