Saturday, May 16, 2009

Start Your Day Right




















Two things needed to ensure a pleasant, successful day: 1) A good start 2) Energy

Two things needed to ensure a good start and energy: 1) A smile 2) Fuel

For the next several posts, I will be posting some great breakfast ideas that will guarantee to leave you satisfied and feeling good. Get rid of the image you may have that portrays health food as bland/dull/unexciting cuisine. I am here to show you that there are plenty of breakfast options that are auspiciously nutritious and delicious. Not only do the options I plan on showing you look appealing to your taste buds, but they will make you look good too!

Numerous studies have shown that breakfast is an important step in helping you lose weight.
In a recent survey of 2,959 members of the National Weight Control Registry (a group of more than 5,000 people who have lost a minimum of 30 pounds and kept them off for at least a year), 78 percent reported eating breakfast every day, and nearly 90 percent eat breakfast at least 4 days a week. Eating breakfast will keep you from pigging out during later meals, and it will also help to refuel your body and give you energy early on so you can start burning calories right away. You should aim to get 20-25% of your daily calories from your morning meal. According to the Mayo Clinic, breakfast increases productivity and concentration. People who eat breakfast also tend to have lower cholesterol and a decreased risk of heart disease.

Your best options are high-fiber, low-fat, unprocessed foods. It is easiest to do this when you make your own breakfasts at home. This way you know exactly what is going into your body.

I will be charting assorted breakfast ideas that I myself am consuming for my morning meals. I will blog at a later time in the day after I have consumed the meal so that I can update how my breakfast has left me feeling throughout the day. So let's get started.

Today I consumed a plate of cut-up watermelon, cantaloupe, raspberries, and blackberries. I also had a small handful of nuts. Fruit is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants that keep you looking and feeling fresh. Try making a fruit plate with at least 3 different kinds of fruit. I chose the above fruit because of their varied tastes and colors which made my meal look very eye-appealing. By having a variety of fruit, you will be less likely to get bored and more likely to be excited about eating breakfast. Look for fruit that is local and in season- this fruit will be the cheapest and taste the best. However, sometimes it's nice to choose fruit that you wouldn't have everyday. Get away from the bananas and apples once in awhile and splurge for that pricier, more exotic fruit. Treat yourself to something like the blackberries I consumed this morning, or maybe purchase some of my favorite-mangoes. Since fruit contains natural sugar, it's important to eat something like nuts to keep you from crashing after a spike in blood-sugar. Nuts provide protein and heart-healthy fat to keep you sustained until lunchtime. If you have large hands (hah), make sure you grab a small handful because although nuts are healthy, they can be calorie-heavy.

I felt pretty sustained until lunchtime, even after doing an hour session of yoga. The nuts and the fruit complimented themselves well and awakened and kept my body energized all morning. Try this tasty, guilt-free breakfast, and I guarantee you'll be feeling great!

No comments:

Post a Comment